Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Melodysoup Video Wednesday! - Mad Hot Ballroom

Today I'm going to take a little trip down memory lane as I share with you the PERFECT movie for a music teacher on summer vacation! One year my district provided the opportunity for several of our music teachers to attend a conference in Dallas organized by MENC that specifically targeted the needs of urban and rural schools. 

It was one of the best conferences I've ever been to and I was sad to see that it was over, but I had decided to extend so that I wouldn't have to drive home tired.  Therefore, I found myself alone in Dallas without any real plans.  I was in luck because the hotel that I was staying at was right next door to the Angelica theater which was the theater in town to play the "artsy" movies.  I wandered over there to stretch my legs and found that I was just in time to catch a movie and decided on a whim that I would take in an "art flick".  Until that point my cinema tastes had never wandered beyond the mainstream and so I was a little bit hesitant to pay good money for a film I had never heard of or at least seen a trailer for. 

So there I was.  I had popcorn in one hand and my drink in the other and I was almost dreading the start of the movie because after I purchased my ticket I saw that this movie was a DOCUMENTARY!  UUGGHH!  I wanted to be entertained, not educated! 

WELL - I was in for a delightful surprise.  Mad Hot Ball Room captivated me!  I laughed, I cried, I all but danced in the aisles of the theater. This movie is a MUST SEE for everyone who has ever known a 5th grader.  This movie is a MUST SEE for every artist who has considered working in a classroom as a resident artist.  This movie is a MUST SEE for everyone.  This movie is a FABULOUS advocate for the power of the arts to motivate children.  It is hopeful, optimistic and encouraging without denying any of the harsh reality that gets in the way of student success.  I LOVE this movie!  I love this movie so much that I have held all of my friends watch it on more than one occasion.  Seriously, just now I decided to watch the trailer before I embedded into this post and it make me laugh and cry and I've seen it at least 10 times..... just not in a couple of years....



I'm sure that many of you have seen it, but since it's summer and all, I think it's time to watch it again.  You can watch it instantly on NETFLIX right now :)

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a GREAT Movie - I LOVE dancing myself and what a wonderful way to engage kids at this age to learn how to interact with one another physically in a positive way - will have to put this on my list to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, over from UBC! I like documentaries so I'll be seeing if I can find this on our streaming Netflix. I teach all subjects as I home educate my three children and am always looking for new art ideas and with two daughters who love to dance this may spark me to create a group of homeschoolers who ball room dance! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete